What is e-residency and what are its applications?
E-Residency is digital identification for a person who is not Estonian citizen and who does not permanently live here but would still like to use Estonia’s e-services like:
- internet banking with all its possibilities
- digital signing of documents and authenticity control of digitally signed documents
- founding a company and submitting annual reports
- managing a company online via e-Business Register
- declaring taxes (this does not guarantee automatic tax residency)
E-residency security is at the highest level; our country is making sure that possible security problems are prevented. Estonian banks and Tax and Customs Board are engaged in developing a wider selection of digital services that are simpler and more flexible to use and can be provided for private persons and companies.
How to apply for e-residency?
- Fill out an application, with added photograph, identification document copy, and explanation about why you wish to apply for e-residency.
- Pay state fee of 100 euros (Visa and MasterCard are suitable for payment).
- Wait for response about your background check.
- You can get your digital ID in Estonia or at any Estonian foreign embassy.
For more information about applying for e-residency please visit the official site.
What are benefits of e-residency and what must be taken into account?
- Founding a company is quick and simple, all procedures required can be completed in few minutes with Unicount (registration of a company usually takes one working day).
- All procedures with Estonian state institutions are digital.
- Digitally signed agreement is available for both sides a moment after it has been signed.
- Signing and submitting an annual report at Company Registration Portal takes only a couple of minutes.
- Opening a bank account at a bank of your choice means face to face meeting. Bank will conduct a background check for a non-resident, this usually takes 5-10 days.
- E-residency does not mean you become a tax resident of Estonia. To become a tax resident you have to apply for a residence permit and meet the criteria set for it.
We will help you anytime
If you wish to establish a company or have already established one and wish to know more about Estonian laws and demands regarding financial matters contact us. We will provide you with professional help. Customer service is available in Estonian and English.